Exemplary figures reported by Gariwo
- Pierantonio Costa consul and enterpreneur who rescued 375 children during genocide in Rwanda
- Romeo Dallaire general who tried in vain to warn the UN about the upcoming genocide in Rwanda
- Antonia Locatelli she was murdered for having denounced the Rwandan Genocide
- Yolande Mukagasana a survivor and witness from Rwanda
- Jacqueline Mukansonera she rescued Yolande Mukagasana
- Paul Rusesabagina the hotel manager who rescued one thousand two hundred people from the Tutsi genocide in Rwanda
- André Sibomana an independent journalist in the Rwandan Genocide
in the Rwandan Genocide
A characteristic of the Rwandan Genocide is the brief amount of time in which it took place, one million deaths in 100 days, it was preceded by an genocidal intention and planning that only some people understood and denounced, like Antonia Locatelli and André Sibomana. Particularly serious are the institutional responsibilities of the UN, that recognized the genocidal actions but responded to them late.
Those who in this contemporary context knew to respond with actions to help, rescue, and supportive attitudes are much more worthy of consideration and respect, as they disconnected themselves from a crowd of people that, being directly involved, did not know or want to act and react.