European Day of the Righteous
On 10 May 2012 the European Parliament approved with 388 signatures Gariwo proposal of establishing a European Day dedicated to the Righteous in all genocide cases. Since 6 March 2013, we have thus celebrated the example of the Righteous to spread everywhere the values of responsibility, tolerance and solidarity.
The Righteous to be honoured this year at the Garden of Milan
For 2017 we have chosen as theme for our ceremony on Monte Stella hill “The Righteous of dialogue: the encounter of diversities to overcome hatred”. The figures chosen are Raif Badawi, Lassana Bathily, Mohamed Ben Abdesslem, Etty Hillesum and Pinar Selek.
Would you like to honour them as well?
How is EU Day of the Righteous marked?
It is marked through commemorations throughout Europe, in the Gardens of the Righteous, at schools, with the institutions, and the local associations.
How can I join the celebrations?
You can organize an event in your town, your school, or make such a gesture as "adopting a Righteous", visiting a Garden, laying a flower, leaving a dedication.
How do I find the material?Download our kit from this link and share it with everybody!
The Righteous of dialogue, the meeting of diversities to overcome hatred is the theme chosen to celebrate in Milan European Day of the Righteous 2017. This is why on 15 March we will dedicate six new trees to Hamadi Ben Abdesslem, Raif Badawi, Lassana Bathily, Etty Hillesum and Pinar Selek.
Today we are here to remember but at the same time we are here to pass on this memory. Neither of this is an easy task. We, therefore, rely on those persons of goodwill who have made their choices "despite everything", those Righteous, who in the course of history, in the face of genocide and mass killings, have defended human dignity and saved lives at the risk of their own.
A few weeks ago I learned that on next 6 March, between the five trees to be planted in Milan in honour of five Righteous in history, one will be dedicated to Etty Hillesum.
The Association for the Garden of the Righteous of Milan has chosen the figures to be honoured in the Garden of the Righteous Worldwide on Monte Stella hill of Milan, on next European Day of the Righteous (6 March): Lassana Bathily, Mohamed Ben Abdesslem, Raif Badawi, Pinar Selek and Etty Hillesum.
Foreign Minister Mr.Paolo Gentiloni's message on the occasion of the meeting The Righteous of our time, against fanaticism, for dialogue and hospitality, held by Gariwo on 25 May at the European Parliament in Brussels
Urging the EU countries to bring about the deeds of the Righteous who defend human rights against all – past and present - persecutions, resisting terror and fundamentalism and helping the migrants. This is the call launched by Gariwo at the European Parliament.
Celebrations 2017 Celebrations Gariwo
- 26 February, h. 18.30 Vercelli (VC), via Foa 70 Memories from Ferramonti of Tarsia
- 22 April 2017, H. 20.30 Cattolica (RN) Price City of Cattolica
- 5 March 2017, h. 17.30 Archeology Museum, conference room, Angera (VA) Towards a Museum of Good for the Righteous of the Nations at Angera
- 6 March 2017 Scuola secondaria di primo grado, Vercelli (VC) The European Day of the Rigtheous in Vercelli
- 6 March 2017 Istituto Tecnico Commerciale Statale, Carpi The European Day of the Rigtheous in Carpi
- 6 March 2017 Biblioteca San Matteo degli Armeni, Perugia The European Day of the Rigtheous in Perugia
- 6 March 2017, h.11 Piazza del Vescovato, Assisi (PG) The European Day of the Rigtheous in Assisi
- 6 March 2017, h. 18.30 Monumento alla Resistenza, Desenzano del Garda (BS) The European Day of the Rigtheous in Desenzano
- 6 March 2017, h. 9.30 Agrigento, Teatro Pirandello The European Day of the Rigtheous in Agrigento
- 1 March 2017, h. 21 Conservatory of Milan Concert for the European Day of the Righteous
- 6 March 2017, h 15 Palazzo Marino, Milan Inauguration of Gariwo virtual garden
- 8 March 2017, h. 13 Neve Shalom, Israel Ceremony in Neve Shalom
- 14 March 2017, h. 15 Sala Alessi, Palazzo Marino, Milan The Righteous of dialogue
- 15 March 2017, h. 11 Monte Stella, Milan The Righteous of dialogue: meeting the diversities to defeat hate